Saturday, January 11, 2014

Frost Bite

It's gotten bitterly cold this month and keeping the chickens warm enough has been a challenge.  This poor rooster is low guy in the hen pecking order, so often he is left out in the cold, literally, unless I lock them all up in the coop.  On the extremely cold days, I don't let them out, but otherwise, I let them roam about in their yard.   Apparently the cold caused some frost bite on his wattle.  I had read the warnings in the 'chicken literature' about the possibility of this happening, but I didn't take the necessary precaution of putting vaseline on the crops and wattles.  I will be more cautious from now on.  You can see the cold damage on the edges of the rooster's wattle.  He doesn't seem to pleased with his situation, does he?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nike

Nike
good 'ole Nike, we miss you!